Screening programme: 'on earth, water, air, fire & the void'
The classical elements typically refer to earth, water, air, fire, and (later) aether which were proposed to explain the nature and complexity of all matter in terms of simpler substances. Ancient cultures in Greece, Tibet, and India had similar lists which sometimes referred, in local languages, to “air” as “wind” and the fifth element as “void”.
Werktank and Cas-co co-organize a lecture and screening programme on the role of the five elements in emerging artistic practices, featuring artists Haseeb Ahmed, Doris Hardeman, Club Efemeer, Laurie-Anne Jaubert, Elise Eeraerts&Roberto Aparicio Ronda. How do artists nowadays approach these elementary key-stones that shape their environment and thus, also their practices? Five resident (collectives) selected video work (whether or not their own) that relates to this topic and serves as the base for further dialogue.
- 7.00 pm: intro by Anna Laganovska
- 7.25 pm: screening ‘Luc‑I.A.’, an animated video by Laurie-Anne Jaubert
- 7.45 pm: fragments of ‘The Sand Reckoner’, a work-in-progress by Haseeb Ahmed
- 8.15 pm: screening of ‘Recursive Volumes’, a video on the making of an eponymous sculptural series by Elise Eeraerts & Roberto Aparicio Ronda
- 9.00 pm: screening of ‘Koyaanisqatsi’, an experimental documentary by Godfrey Reggio (selected by Club Efemeer)
- 9.30 pm: screening ‘The Metaverse in Janky Capitalism’, an online video essay by Daniel Felstead (selected by Doris Hardeman)
This programme relates to several presentations, simultaneously on display in the city of Leuven: ‘The Library of the Winds’ by Ahmed and ‘La Lumitérale’ by Jaubert in KADOC; ‘EXIT’, a solo presentation by Hardeman in Off the Grid and ‘like snakes, the roots of trees, coil themselves from rock and sand’ by Eeraerts&Aparicio Ronda in STUK Manhattan.